CBD and Your Pet-- A Primer
WHAT IS CBD?
- CBD, or cannibidiol, is one of the active ingredients purified from Cannabis plants-- both marijuana and hemp.
- THRIVE is produced only from organic hemp in Colorado, our old home state.
- CBD has no psychoactive properties (ie, it won't make you funny or hungry) but does have significant physical effects on both humans and pets
- In its natural state, CBD is a thin liquid that is best dissolved in food-grade oils
HOW IS CBD DIFFERENT FROM THC?
- Although both CBD and THC are extracted from Cannabis plants, CBD has no psychoactive properties while THC does.
- The best of CBD products-- like THRIVE -- have zero percent THC. This is important because THC can be mildly toxic to our pets.
HERE'S WHAT TO LOOK FOR IN CBD PRODUCTS.
- POTENCY -- How many milligrams of CBD are present in a drop of the oil? With over 25 mg of active CBD per ml, THRIVE is one of the most concentrated CBD products on the market.
- PURITY -- No contaminants or THC are present in premium CBD products like THRIVE.
- TESTING -- Every batch of CBD should be tested for potency and purity by an independent lab. THRIVE is, and here is a LINK TO THE TEST RESULTS for our current batch.
- SOURCE -- Where was the CBD source grown? Is it organic? Is it GMO-free? (Hint: for THRIVE, the answers are Colorado...YES... and YES.)
HOW DOES CBD WORK?
- All humans and pets have a system of receptors within our bodies called the Endocannabinoid system.
- Endocannabinoid receptors are found in highest quantities in the Central Nervous System, the GI tract, the muscles and joints, the immune system, and the skin.
- CBD indirectly binds to these receptors, and the activation of these receptors is what creates the effects of CBD
HOW CAN CBD HELP MY PET? These benefits are proven.
CBD FIGHTS CANCER
- There are active studies showing CBD BENEFITS PET ALLERGIC SYMPTOMS, but they have not been published yet.
- In humans, CBD has been shown to have a number of other potential benefits to wellness, However, there are no studies proving other benefits in pets, to the best of my knowledge.
HOW IS CBD BEST ADMINISTERED TO YOUR PET?
- CBD products like THRIVE are best absorbed through the membranes of the mouth. This means that the BEST way to give CBD is to squirt an oral liquid directly into the mouth.
- CBD products are absorbed more slowly when swallowed.
- Some absorption can occur across the skin, and there are human studies showing the benefit of topical CBD for localized skin inflammation.
CBD AND YOUR PET-- ARE THERE ANY NEGATIVES?
- The benefits of CBD can vary between individual pets. Not every pet sees the same results.
- CBD products can create mild liver inflammation in susceptible pets. This is typically transient and mild, but if your pet has pre-existing liver problems you may want to think twice about CBD.
- CBD inhibits drug metabolism through the cytochrome p450 pathway, and thus may alter the halflife of other drugs a human or pet may be taking.
- The negative effects are reversible, and will disappear if CBD therapy is stopped.
CBD AND YOUR PET-- A SUMMARY
Studies to date show that THRIVE and other CBD products are a natural and effective way to treat....
- Pet Seizures
- Pet Pain
- Pet Anxiety
- Pet Nausea
- Pet Cancer
- and likely skin itch, as well.
- Side effects of CBD are mild and reversible, but you want to watch liver patients a little more closely.
- The key to successful use of CBD and other natural products is to find a product that you can trust. Potency, Purity, Testing, and Source are the keys for you.
- That's why we give our own dogs THRIVE. We're happy to share!!